Life, The Universe and Small Things all covered in one friendly blog.
Remember DON'T PANIC! .

21 February, 2007

A word about cats.

I was having an early spring tidy up in our garden today, it's not an especially large garden but I like to think it's rather well laid out and we have spaces for sitting etc when the weather is suitable. As I walked up the sorry excuse for a lawn, more moss and mud than grass this time of year, there was one thing that hit me. Cat piss!
The top half of the garden was overpowering.
As a kid we lived in the country and I had two cats, not both at the same time, the first dropped dead and the second got its self caught in a rabbit trap and after several weeks limped home half dead on three legs so the vet from up the road finished it off, for a fee. I think that's when I first began to hate cats. Then it was that they let me down, they were supposed to be a pet for a young child but they just made me sad by getting dead.
Back to today, the top of the garden has been "marked" by one or all of the 10 or so cats that live in the surrounding 400 metres of the estate.
There are far too many cats in this area and all of them seem to like to toilet in our garden. I even have to clear up cat doings from the very small piece of grass out the front of the house almost daily. "Cats don't do it on grass" one owner told me, oh yes they bloody do!
Our back garden has more anti-cat devices than the average garden centre sells and none of them work, and so the locals cats have sprayed all over the top of my garden again.
Its the most awful smell and I really don't see why as a non cat owner I should have to put up with it. I don't have a cat, I don't like cats and I don't want them in our garden. I don't even want them to walk through it, not even if they are on the fence. Yet for some reason cat owners are not responsible for their pets in any way at all once they have opened the door and said "Off you go shitty, go have a nice dig in someones garden" It makes no sense at all that someone can let an animal they own into my garden to do as it pleases and they have no responsibility for it at all.
I read a while ago of an elderly gentleman who had electrocuted a cat in his garden ,good man. It was destroying his plants, and some magistrate, no doubt a cat owner, had fined him a hefty fine and threatened him with prison for having the audacity of protecting his own property against the vermin that are cats. The article also included a piece from the mother of the young child owner saying how devastated the girl was and that the man was a monster for killing the cat. Oh come off it the victim here is the gentleman who sees his hard work and plants messed on and dug up. Lets face it cats die as I found out as a kid, its what cats do, and the more around here that go to kitty heaven the better my garden will smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment