Life, The Universe and Small Things all covered in one friendly blog.
Remember DON'T PANIC! .

21 February, 2007

Banks. The black hole of payments.

I paid a credit card bill the other day, but as always nothing is that simple in the world of banking.
The bill was due to "arrive by" the 11th Feb which fell on a Sunday, but I guess the credit card company know that.
In the age when people ran banks and I stood in line to hand over my cheque and bill to make a payment then paying on a Sunday was obviously not an option, I didn't mind the hard working bank staff having a day or two off, but now the only time I am likely to see person in the bank is when I need money to travel abroad.
We all know computers run banks, every time there is a problem its a "computer error" or the "computer is not running at the moment" but I didn't realise until paying the credit card bill that computers are the only things that still don't work Sundays.
I want £x to reach my account on 11/2/07 I tell the bank. That's a Sunday the bank tells me, yes I know but its the date on my credit card bill so I must be able to pay it on that date. Nope it will have to be paid on the 9th. So how do I pay it on the 11th as the credit card company say I can. You can't its not a banking day.
So it needs someone to actually move the money does it, no, the computer does it automatically, and when was the last time "Error 404 this is a Sunday" popped up when I turned on a computer.
Ok, Ill pay on the 9th then, no, not that easy it will have to leave my account on the 6th. Well that's 5 days before the bill is due I would rather pay it on the 9th, but if you pay in on the 9th it will reach the credit card company on the 14th.
I can fly to Australia in 23 hours, I can send an email there in about .5 of a second but the bank can not get the electrons representing my £x from their computer to the credit card company computer in under 4 days, are they using smoke signals or something.
Where is my money and the billions of pounds of other peoples money that is on its way between banks and credit card companies, washing around in a pond somewhere, taking a short break or, just possibly, making the bank a few million on the overnight money markets more likely.

2 comments:

  1. Very good point, where is the money for those 4 days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great info to know.

    ReplyDelete