Life, The Universe and Small Things all covered in one friendly blog.
Remember DON'T PANIC! .

01 November, 2012

Victims need closure ?

It is risky but I will  comment on the hype that is this Jimmy Savile investigation.

The number of people who claim to have been assaulted by him grows every day, and since there was mention of compensation the number has jumped to about 400 and will no doubt go higher.

The police will take all the reports they can get, its great for the detection rate stats, and solicitors will make a fortune representing anyone who wants to claim he molested them.

I have had conversations with people on twitter who tell me that the victims have to be heard, believed and given closure. That these victims must seek counselling and be given support. Really?

And here is exactly where I get stuck.
Imagine listening in on the session between one of the victims and the professional trying to trash their brain and bring back all the bad memories, sorry I meant to say the counsellor.

Victim " It was terrible what he did to me"
Counsellor "Its OK you did nothing wrong and he is dead now he can not hurt you any more"
V " But I feel so terrible about it"
C "Its OK you did nothing wrong and he is dead now he can not hurt you any more"
V " He did things to me that I will never forget"
C "Its OK you did nothing wrong and he is dead now he can not hurt you any more"
....... and so on forever .

The closure can not be any more final than he is dead, talking about it now will make it worse for any victim I guarantee.
I have no doubt that there are people who are jumping on the band waggon and making false claims and if there is even the risk that one of these people is awarded compensation for something that did not happen then no compensation must be awarded to anyone.

He is dead.
That is closure!

No comments:

Post a Comment